Working at a startup can be extremely rewarding and equally frustrating. In our organization everyone seems to be doing everything! It is very different from a corporate culture. Here responsibilities are high, work is busy. Yet, people like what they are doing.
We are looking for people to join us. We think you’ll love our world of treks.
On this page, you’ll find different roles we have and the application process. At the end you’ll also find a video on what it really means to work at Indiahikes. Take a look at the video once before applying.
First, a bit about Indiahikes
Indiahikes started primarily as a trek documentation organization. We explored, wrote and documented treks. We did this in great detail so that everyone could organize their own treks. We believed no one needed an organization like Indiahikes to take them on treks. This was our philosophy.
To fund our documentation process we also organized treks. The participation on our treks grew. People loved the Indiahikes experience. Today, Indiahikes is India’s largest trek organization.
What made Indiahikes grow? We believe we redefined the way trekking was done in India. If you look at it most trekking trails, trekking processes, safety systems, environment policies was introduced to Indian trekking by Indiahikes. Trekkers saw it first hand. They loved what they saw and they spread the message to others. Almost 20,000 people trek with Indiahikes every year.
For our work requirement we are looking at those who are keen to define the future of trekking in our country.
In this context read our work requirement below.
Indiahikes Team Members
Just like us you want to define the future of trekking in our country. While trekking is a passion, the main reason to work with us is the opportunity to create an impact on the trekking world. You want to be involved in this world in some way or the other.
Which is why at Indiahikes role change is constant. You may join the trek coordinator team and shift to operations. A content team member may go on to start a new division. Or a trek leader can become a slope manager. With this in mind the roles available are:
1. Trek Experience Managers
Trek Experience Managers run Indiahikes treks from our office in Bangalore. It is a role that has communication at its crux. Along with running treks efficiently, you build trek experiences that stays with trekkers. You talk extensively with trekkers, understand and learn from their experience. You also work closely with our operations team setting experiences in place.
The role requires you to handle trekker queries, help solve their problems and be an adviser to them. The skills learnt here is like an MBA program. Which is why as you grow in the role you usually get into core Indiahikes management. Salary starts at Rs 4.2 lacs per annum.
Applicants for Trek Experience Managers must fulfill the following criteria:
- Must be at least 22 years old.
- Must have done treks (we prefer if you have done Himalayan treks)
- Must have 2 years work experience (in other industries).
- Must be willing to be Bengaluru based.
- Must have excellent English and Hindi communication skills. We would like to test your written English.
- Male/Female. An independent thinking, humble person is what we are looking at.
2. Trek Leaders
Trek leaders lead the Indiahikes teams in the mountains. Trek leaders ensure that more than leading trekkers on a trek, trekkers take back a permanent change in their mind, body and spirit. We believe the outdoors have a profound impact on us. It is the trek leaders job to bring about this change.
Trek leading is a skill that is learned. You devote up to one month for Asst Trek Leader Training (ATL), followed by a period of 4-6 months as a Provisional Trek Leader (PTL). Training is imparted on leadership, safety, operations and climbing skills. At the end of the PTL program you go on to become a trek leader at Indiahikes.
The ATL program pays candidates a stipend of Rs 4,000 per week (this lasts approximately 30-45 days). During the Provisional Trek Leader training, candidates get a stipend of Rs 25,000 per month (for about 4-6 months). After the training program, trek leaders earn between Rs 4.2 and Rs 6.0 lakhs per annum. Some earn more depending on their performance.
Applicants for Trek Leaders must fulfill the following criteria:
- Must be at least 24 years of age. Male/Female.
- Must have a Basic Mountaineering Course certificate from a reputed Institute.
- Must have done at least two high altitude Himalayan treks (above 14,000 feet).
- Must be willing to acquire a BLS certification (basic life support). A BLS certification can be done in any metro city at reputed hospitals.
- Must have excellent English and Hindi communication skills.
- Work experience in a leadership role in a different industry is preferred.
- Must follow an active fitness regimen. BMI (Body Mass Index) must be between 18.5 and 24.9.
- Smoking and drinking is not permitted under our work conditions. If you smoke or drink then it is something that you need to leave behind.
3. Assistant Trek Leaders
Would you like to assist Indiahikes trek leaders? Perhaps be a future trek leader? The ATL program is suitable for:
- Individuals who do not fully satisfy trek leader selection criteria (background, qualification, age, etc)
- But looking to be future trek leaders with Indiahikes
ATL applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum 22 years old
- Must have done at least two high altitude treks in the Himalayas. (Triund and Kheerganga do not count as trek experience).
- Work experience in other industries is given preference
- Must have excellent English and Hindi communication skills.
- Must follow an active fitness regimen. BMI (Body Mass Index) must be between 18.5 and 23.9.
- No smoking or drinking habit at all.
ATLs undergo extensive training before being considered as trek leaders with Indiahikes. The training is in two stages. First stage is an assessment period of 30-45 days. If your assessment is successful, after forty five days you become a Provisional Trek Leader (PTL). The PTL training program can last between 4-6 months. During the first assessment period you earn a stipend of Rs 4,000 per week. As a PTL you earn a stipend of Rs 25,000 per month.
In between or after the training program you must get a basic mountaineering course done. After the course you get promoted as Trek leader. Once a trek leader, your earnings range between Rs 4.2 and Rs 6.0 lakhs per annum. Some earn more depending on their performance.
Before you apply for the post of an assistant trek leader, read this article about what the job involves.
This video interview of our Trek Leader will also give you a good idea about what the role involves.
4. Content Team Members
The content team creates Indiahikes’ digital content — written, video and social. The responsibility on the content team is the most. Indiahikes is primary an information and content driven organisation. The content team creates very definitive content that often changes perceptions about trekking. Indiahikes content is known to be authentic, thought provoking and, above all, is the last word in trekking.
As a content team member you have thought provoking articles to write, videos and podcasts to make. There are opportunities to grow our social engagement and a chance to work on our community. The variety in the role is enormous; the work is global. Growth in the role is rapid, usually within months.
The skills learnt here are applicable in any organisation where digital content is made. Salary starts at Rs 4.5 lakhs per annum. What we require:
- Someone who writes well. By “well” we mean simple, honest writing that shows knowledge, maturity and good command of English.
- Someone who is curious about the world of trekking. You need to be someone who is instinctively curious, willing to research and learn about the mountains. Yes, you must like trekking.
- Someone from a media background. We prefer if you are a journalist or from the media.This is not an absolute must, but someone who has an idea about how to write for the web, how to structure articles, what kind of content works, will really help. We’re alright if you are from a different line looking to switch to writing, provided you fulfill point one.
- Someone with at least two years of work experience (any industry). Work experience does not have to be in writing or media. When someone comes with work ex, they bring in new perspectives and wisdom from their previous work. If you are freshly starting out then impress us with your writing.
- Someone willing to be Bengaluru based. This is an absolute must. We’re looking for those willing to work full time from our Bengaluru office. No part-timers or freelancers please.
- Minimum 23 years old.
- Apply by writing a 300 word piece on “How content is changing the future of trekking”.
5. Asst Creative Writers (part-time, home based)
This is a part-time home based role for those who cannot join our office. This role suits those who are temporarily not at their current work. The role requires you to be part of our writing team.
The responsibilities are varied, but usually specialised. For example, you may be required to write articles for our trek pages, or sometimes write independent articles. Or you may be asked to work with our social media team. Each of these roles are usually very independent and creative in nature. It requires you to nurture the responsibility on your own.
Which is why we are not looking for those who are fresh out of college. Prior work experience in other industries in good positions best suit these roles. You do not need prior experience in creative or writing roles. However, if you do have journalism background, it helps. We’ll anyway put you through a training program to show you how to write for these roles.
This role cannot be done after office hours. It does not suit those who would like to supplement their regular income after office hours.
The role, needless to say, requires impeccable written English skills. You need to commit to 5-6 hours a day for this. This would be at usual office hours, but with some flexibility. We work on Saturdays too, so the work is between Monday and Saturday. Salary starts at 2.4 lakhs per annum.
You need to be minimum 25 years old.
6. Photo Editors
Indiahikes website is known for its high quality images. We are looking at photographers who can take the level of images higher on our website.
Photographers with excellent photography skills suit the role. If your photographs have been featured anywhere, then you are already the kind of person we are looking at.
This role does not suit those who want to go on treks and shoot photographs. This role is similar to a newspaper editors. Like a newspaper editor, here too you decide on which photograph to select, feature and showcase on the Indiahikes website. You are also required to take the website forward in terms of the quality of imagery. While you do get opportunity to go on treks, that is the not what happens everyday.
This role is based in Bengaluru and is full time.
We like those who have multiple skills. A knowledge of video film making would be helpful. A good sense of design is required. Understanding website design and how it works is very important.
Technical skills: You must know Photoshop/Lightroom, Final Cut Pro/Premier Pro and After Effects.
To apply send us links to your photos (do not attach any images), along with the prescribed application process.
How To Apply (for all positions)
For all positions email Sandhya: email@example.com
CC Arjun: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: Working with Indiahikes — (name of position).
What to include in your email application
- Your recently updated resume (Even if you don’t have a background in trekking, your past work experience matters to us.)
- Write a paragraph about why you wish to work at Indiahikes. Tell us what you know about Indiahikes. Be frank with us.
- Write another paragraph about what makes you suitable for the role.
- If you have any trek experience, mention it in the email.
- Any specific write up or inclusions as mentioned in the role description
A note about your application status
We receive a large number of applications. If you are shortlisted we will write back within seven days, usually quicker. If you do not hear from us within 7 days in all probability your application has been rejected. You can, of course, remind us again in case you feel you are a right fit for Indiahikes.
Note: Sometimes applications get rejected because they have not followed the complete application process as mentioned in “How to Apply” above.
What’s it like to work at Indiahikes?
In this video, our chief editor Swathi Chatrapathy interviews Indiahikes founder Arjun Majumdar on what it means to work at Indiahikes. In this video he talks about the core values of Indiahikes and who would make the right fit at our organisation.